Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day

Today I went to Wyoming with my brother David and his fiance Shelby to visit family graves. I decided to take pictures so I have them for my family history files.




George W. Bell - my great-grandfather - my mother's mother's father. I never knew him. He died when i was 2 years old.




Evelyn Bell - my great-grandmother, George Bell's wife. I met Grandma Bell several times. I remember her as a sweet-tempered, white-haired lady who was a master crocheter.




Theo Limb and Joyce Evelyn Bell Limb - my grandparents on my mother's side. I remember spending the most time with Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Ted when I was a child and we all lived in Corpus Christi. Grandma Mary has very fond memories of both of them - they were good friends.





Terry Guymon - my mother's sister. Aunt Terry died young - she had been very sick. Like her mother and grandmother, Aunt Terry was quite gifted - she was what I would call artsy (at least compared to me). I remember beautiful stained glass pictures that she made.

I don't remember visiting a cemetery on Memorial Day before, but it was actually kind of nice. There were many people there and many flowers and decorations. It made the cemetery less spooky.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Where in Wyoming?

Julia said...

Oh wow..that's awesome! Good for you! I love family history so I eat up stuff like this..haha.

Mimi said...

Shelly what a pleasant way to spend the day. And what a great file for your genealogy. I should do this too!

Kim said...

How neat Shelly. What a good idea! I was just thinking how commercialized Memorial Day is now....the day of car and clothes sales. What if our kids grow up without knowing what it is really about. Mike's family always visits graves on that day too.

Kim said...

How neat Shelly. What a good idea! I was just thinking how commercialized Memorial Day is now....the day of car and clothes sales. What if our kids grow up without knowing what it is really about. Mike's family always visits graves on that day too.

Marty (Papa) Farmer said...

Shelly, I remember laughing with your grandma Joyce on many occasions. She was the one who talked me into wearing tights in a church roadshown production for which she wrote all of the musical lyrics. It was fun.

And your grandfather Theo was our families very first home teacher. I told you mother several years back that I remembered him as one of my best home teachers as well. He was soft spoken and kind and had a way of making me as a young boy, feel important. I always looked forward to he and your Uncle Ted's visits.