The recent disasters around the world, along with a post by Aunt Carmen, have inspired me to work on emergency preparedness. The name of my game is to start small and to be realistic, so I'm going for two weeks of supplies.
Water
I was reading on someone's site that a recommended amount of water storage is 1 gallon per day per person. Thankfully my per person count is just 1 so that makes the math pretty easy. Did you know you can buy gallons of water at Walmart for $.75 each? I bought a few today and I'll pick up more next time I'm there.
I have to admit that a couple of dozen cans of Dr. Pepper crosses my mind as a drinking necessity. The only problem is that I really don't like warm soda. Of course the emergency could be in the winter... okay, Dr. Pepper is back on the emergency storage list.
Food
This one is tougher. I don't really cook. It's not that I can't cook, it's just that cooking for one seems kind of like a waste of time. I'll admit right here that my favorite kitchen item is the microwave. I could justify the top of the line microwave for the amount of use mine gets. So what can I buy that I like, that stores well, and that I can eat cold? Picture this... canned chili as the main course with sides of beef jerky and peanut butter. I definitely need to keep adding to this list.
Sanitation/Grooming
Soap, shampoo, toothpaste/brush, garbage bags/big food storage tub (this pair of items makes a porto-potty - nice thought, huh?), toilet paper, Clorox wipes
Other
First aid kit, candles/matches, cash, flashlight/batteries
It's a start. Long way to go. It's interesting to read that the government is encouraging all to have 3 days worth of food and supplies in case of emergency. They might as well just call it a 72-hour kit, right?
http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I like that Dr. Pepper is a necessity! As far as food goes, cereal is a good thing to have too, if you like cereal.
Shelly I LOVE the new blog!!! I've been wanting to change my address but was afraid I'd lose everything I'd already done. Is that possible??? I like your post too about each category for preparedness. I already have a port-a-potty, but I think I must prepare for that one going by the wayside, (not having enough chemical for a year)! Good idea!!! Marty cleaned and filled 12 55-gal drums today so I'm finally feeling better about our water. For years I comforted myself that we had the pool...now that is gone! Still loads to do, but I am more comfortable that I have a good start. We'll have to trade ideas!
You go Shelly. I love the new blog page too. Very cute. Have fun with food storage. I didn't think about getting a porto potty before. Ha!
Yeah, Mimi had prodded (I mean inspired!) all of the Cleburne Farmer line as well.
Good luck with your preparedness quest!
Post a Comment