Friday, April 17, 2009

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

It's amazing how many health issues I seem to have these days. I told Dar last week that it's probably just a cry for attention and that she should call me more often. Hahahahaha. Anyway...

I started having pain issues last week.. back hurting, can't get comfortable, jumping around in pain - that kind of stuff. Well, it happened again on Monday while I was out to lunch with my boss. Poor Bart, he had to sit in this little restaurant (La Dolce Vida) with me as I fidgeted all around and couldn't get comfortable. We came back to work after lunch and I grabbed my stuff and drove to the emergency room. The pain was similar to the pain from last week and I knew I would be in tears shortly.

I walk into the ER and they took my name and had me sign a release. Then off to triage. The nurse is taking my blood pressure and puts the little pulse thing on my finger. I'm fidgeting and I'm hurting, but it is still under control. She said, "Your pulse is really high. It must be because you're in pain. But you're still smiling." I told her I was just trying to be nice, but that yes, I was in pain.

About ten minutes later (leaving a few details out here), I get a room. I put on the cute little robe - open to the back - and started pacing. It hurt to sit down worse than it hurt to pace. About half an hour later the doctor comes in. "Does it hurt to sit down?" "Yes." "Okay, well sit down." Hahahahaaha. I made a comment about that and the doctor in the hallway started laughing. Anyway, he asked me a few questions, poking here and there, and then he left and told me the nurse would be right in with pain meds. Hallelujah.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm in full tears and I look out the door and find an intern. "Could you please find out if the nurse is coming with pain medicine?" He finds a different nurse - not sure where mine was - and she takes a look at my chart. "She needs an IV RIGHT NOW!" So people start running and next thing I know I have 3 people in my room getting me hooked up. Five minutes later, life is good. Pain is all gone, body is all warm, and they even pulled up the sides of the hospital bed so I wouldn't fall out. How nice of them.

Fast forward about an hour and a half. I've had a CT scan and the doctor is giving me the news. It's a kidney stone. OUCH is what I have to say. So now the waiting game - waiting and hoping that it decides to finish its journey from the kidney to the potty. It hasn't made it yet.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

I've heard that kidney stones are awful. Good luck passing that thing! and soon!

Mimi said...

I am so sorry to hear about your suffering Shelly. Uncle Marty has been in the hospital twice for them and he was in so much pain. They say it's the closest you get to childbirth. Hopefully you can pass the stone without having to blast them or go in after them.

Jules said...

Shelly I just finished a long post on my blog about a painful headache I had the other day. Now I feel foolish, because I bet your pain is way worse. I hope everything goes all right, I have heard nasty things about those and I can't say I envy you. All I can say is thank goodness for strong pain killers, they saved my bacon the other day too.

kfarmer said...

Poor thing. Marty always tells me kidney stones are much worse than childbirth could possibly be! Randy and I had my 20th birthday lunch at La Dolce Vida, right before Laura was born. We still miss China Town--which you told us about when we were newlyweds, and we're trying to plan a trip out there for their spicy fried shrimp this summer. Cravings!

Mrs. White's library world said...

I have a friend who has a chemical imbalance and her body makes kidney stones whenever she acumulates protein, so she has surgery and hospital visits alot. Horrible! But hey are trying a new med. to keep her body from holding onto all proteins. Cinnamon feels your pain. I think she said something about drinking lots of lemonade or water with lemon in it.

Kim said...

Shelly you poor thing! LIke Kirsten mentioned my dad is always sharing his kidney stone story. If you want sympathy...give uncle Marty a call! Hopefully you feel all better !

Jan and Larry Myers said...

So I have to read your blog to find out you were in the hospital? You didn't even mention it on the phone today . . . just like you. Unlike your chin and dry feet, at least this is one negative you can blame on the Farmer side of the family! ;-)

TracyH said...

Shelly, I feel for you. Geneel told me it was worse passing a stone than having a baby. She gave up all soda to get rid of them, after a diet cola habit for years. The caramel coloring or something in it can cause stones. Glad you got some meds and seriously, listen to your body and get there faster next time! :)