My favorite class in my college career (which was long), was a class on law. We had a sitting judge who taught the class and it was fascinating.
Our first few classes went like this... He would come to class and spell out a case for us. Then he would take questions and ask for a verdict from the class. We got to vote to convict or acquit.
Here's where it got interesting. For about the first three classes, almost the entire class was unanimous in its opinion. The cases he was giving us had emotional points and our consciences told us the "right" way to vote and we were certain of ourselves.
However, we were wrong every time. He effectively taught us that what we feel about a case is irrelevant. What matters is what the law says.
Do I have a point? (I often have no point, but this time I do.)
OJ Simpson was just convicted of a whole bunch of things in Las Vegas. What I wonder is... did the jury convict OJ based on evidence relevant to the current case or did they convict him because they feel he was unfairly acquitted of murdering Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman? I suppose that is the very reason for the appeals process, and I'm sure there will be many appeals a comin'.
I get tired of hearing about OJ in the news and I don't think he is a very upstanding guy, but I do want him to get a fair trial. It is his right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Two things.
1. I LOVE that movie!
2. It's interesting that was your favorite class. I'm in Business Law right now, and it's definitely my favorite of the semester, and probably close to my favorite of my college experience. But there's always next semester for something to trump it I guess!
"Son, we live in a world that has walls. Who's going to guard them? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?"
I'm not sure I got that right, but it's in my head that way. :) So many good lines from that movie.
You just reminded me that one of my favorite classes in college was Comms. Law. It was hard, but I learned a lot and worked really hard.
You make a good point. Hopefully it was a clear-cut case. I would guess some juror will be on a morning show talking about it really soon...or writing a book. I hope you do get to serve on a jury sometime. :)
I'd have to "trust" my feelings on this one...
I too love that movie and all the great lines. I was a little surprised by the verdict, because I watched a news program with a couple of attorney's and they thought he'd get off. I too wonder if he got a fair trial. I'm not too worried about him needing to serve his time for the past, I think he lives in his own private hell anyway.
I'm glad I didn't have to serve on that jury.
Post a Comment