Friday, October 3, 2008

Mudslinging . Biden-Palin Debate.

It's irresponsible for us to take anything the presidential or vice-presidential candidates are saying at face value, especially when they are speaking of what the other side has said or believes or has done. Both sides twist the other sides' answers and take the most radical slant possible. Often those twists and slants are taken far enough that the end result is an outright lie.

I'd like to see a debate where they can't reference the other side at all, but can only represent what they and their party believe and are doing. Maybe that wouldn't be a debate. Maybe that would just be a discussion. I get really tired of finger pointing and the he-said, she-said stuff. It reminds me of being a kid and saying, "Nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo." Now that was a cut low if I had ever heard one. I feel like that's really what the candidates want to say to each other.

Since their words are hard to believe without significant, independent research, one of the other tools we have is to decide emotionally who we like better. Who fits with our view of government better? Do we like the "new ideas" that possibly come with the youthfulness of Obama or do we prefer the "wisdom" that possibly comes with the age of McCain? Do we prefer the smooth-talking Biden or would we rather listen to the good ol' gal Palin?

I'm not pushing one or the other. Frankly, I don't have a preference yet. Do you?

3 comments:

elise said...

on the news last night, they had a debate teacher from smu give his opinion of how the canidates did, he gave one a b and the other a b+, but he first commented on lies and stretches-of-the-truth each mentioned first. entertaining :)

Darlyn said...

I learned a different version. It was "Kindergarten baby, stick your head in gravy. Wash it off with bubble gum and send it to the Na-vy! Equally annoying. :)

My three cents... Personally I espouse the party and candidates that I feel will work hardest to keep me and my family safe from attacks, and who I believe want to tax me the least. I also prefer an anti-abortion stand. So, even though I don't love the more conservative McCain-Palin, I prefer them to the socialist/liberal Obama-Biden at this point. I wish there were someone better, but this is not the first time I'll vote for "the lesser of two evils."

Mimi said...

You are so clever and funny...and smart.  I do have a preference and he's not on the ticket.  I would have loved to have Romney in there as I just "feel" good when I hear him speak.  Probably a bit biased on my part, but I was convinced that if we had someone in there that did counsel with the Lord, then I'd feel a bit safer.  But...on many counts I am voting Republican.  Reading exerpts from Obama's book has given me real deep down concerns, and so for what it's worth, I will be voting for McCain.