Saturday, September 6, 2008

Republicans vs Democrats

Now that I'm in my forties I've decided it might be worth a little bit of my time (and I mean a little bit) to try to understand the differences between Republicans and Democrats.

Today I found the official platforms for both major parties. Here are the links for your reading pleasure:

Democrat Platform

Republican Platform

I'm going to read these to try to get a better understanding of the parties. That being said, I realize that I live in Utah and that the chances of my vote being important are slim to none. (Since Utah votes Republican, my Republican vote will be lost in the masses and my Democrat vote will be crushed by the overwhelming Republican majority.) Nevertheless, if I choose to vote this year, it will be because I believe one candidate/party is a better choice than the other one at this time. And more importantly, it will not be because of tradition, peer pressure, or just plain being uninformed.

If anyone has any other good sites or references for political dummies, let me know!

5 comments:

elise said...

paul LOVES politics!!! he's the best source i know (and he'll tell you the facts, and his perspective, and why, and who thinks otherwise, and why, and who agrees with him, and why, and everything else you could ever want to know!). i'll ask him if there's any websites he recommends, i know the recent readers digest suggested two or three websites too, paul was only familiar with one, and it wasn't one of his favorites. i know the main problem with politics is finding the sources that are truely unbiased (or at least understanding the bias so you can form your opinion around it). if you ever have any questions for him, drop an email and he'll be happy to answer (especially national politics, i guess the local/state stuff would be different, though he knows a lot about utah too)

elise said...

was that too much? i burble :)

Mimi said...

Your Uncle Marty loves politics and we listen to all the commentary daily. He has encouraged all our kids to get out and vote to make the difference. "Those that don't stand for something will fall for anything."

Shannon said...

Politics is a pain I think. Since Alan reads every newspaper and wiki article every written I just ask him who is doing what right and go with that.

Jules said...

At the moment I'm a registered Republican, but I'm considering changing to Independent. I keep up with politics somewhat and as far as I'm concerned, there are problems on both sides. I wish we could vote in some non-partisan people who really have the best interest of the people at heart. Good for you for trying to become informed, it floors me how many people don't care, or just vote a party without any real concideration of the actual candidate.