Sunday, April 13, 2008

My friend Aliesha

I have a friend who was one of my young women when she was 12 and 13. She's a little disabled - I think her birth mother was on drugs of some sort and that affected her mental abilities. Her adoptive parents are wonderful and have done a fabulous job raising this gal.

She's 19 now and was just diagnosed with cancer in February. That was heartbreaking. She understands that she has cancer and that she is having chemotherapy. She can tell me exactly what the chemo schedule is - including how long she has each bag, which one makes her feel sicker than the others, etc. Aliesha will answer any question I have, but she mostly wants to talk about the big black mastiff dog that comes to visit her in the hospital and also about the cute male nurses or people she sees.

She is such a wonderful person. She wears a great big smile even when I can tell that she's very tired. What an example Aliesha is to me. Everytime I go to visit her, I try to take some sort of treat or something, but I always leave with much more than I take. It is humbling to have a friend who is so Christlike and who is so completely without malice.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Shelly, what a touching story. I have been hearing a lot of these lately. It sure makes you be grateful for your life and sets a great example of how to be! I am so excited you've started a blog. It looks great!

Mimi said...

What a heart-wrencher! I know there are people here on earth to touch our hearts and teach us. Bless you for keeping in touch and being a good friend to her. I'm sure you must be one of her angels!